History of Indian Institute of Homoeopathic Physicians (IIHP)
The history of Homoeopathy in India can be traced as far back as the year 1810 when a Frenchman Dr. John Martin Honigberger who learnt Homoeopathy from Dr. Hahnemann visited India to treat patients. He visited India a second time in 1839 at the request of the Maharaja Ranjit Singh of Punjab who was suffering from paralysis of the vocal cords with swelling of the feet. He treated the Maharaja by dispensing “Dulcamara” in wine, in low potency which cured him. The Maharaja was also impressed when his favourite horse was cured of an ulcer of the leg and encouraged him to stay back in India Dr.Honigberger became the chief physician at the Maharaja’s court.
Later on after the Maharaja’s death Dr.Honigberger shifted to Kolkata where he practised Homoeopathy and was instrumental in increasing the popularity of Homoeopathy in Kolkata. Homoeopathy continued to flourish and prosper in India as the principles and practices & philosophy of Homoeopathy found common ground among Indians and their way of life. Increasing number of people took to learning the new science and as a result there were many stalwarts and legends practising Homoeopathy in Kolkata in particular and rest of India too.
The late BabuRajendralal Dutta though not a trained Physician himself practised and treated patients with very good results and was successful in drawing an eminent allopath of that time Dr.Mahendralal Sircar to Homoeopathy. Around the same time Dr. P.C. Majumdar started his Homoeopathic practice and went on to lay the foundation of the first Homoeopathic Medical College in India in 1885. Many other eminent people like Sir LoknathMoitra, Shree Priyanath Bose, Rev. Father Muller, Shri. P. Subbarayalu and Shri. V.M. Kulkarni etc. helped in getting popularity and acceptance for Homoeopathy at all levels.To get proper official recognition to Homoeopathy a group of institutionally trained Homoeopaths decided to form an all India organization in the year 1944. They called it All India Institute of Homoeopathy which was later changed to the Indian Institute of Homoeopathic Physicians.. A team of dedicated stalwarts such as Dr. M. Gururaju, Dr. A. N. Mukharjee, Dr. Diwan Jaichand, Dr.Daya Shankar, Dr. J. P. Srivasthava, Dr. S. P. Asthana and Dr. K. G. Saxena were the founder members of IIHP.. To give more impetus to the Institute the founders felt that the Institute should get registered under Society’s Registration Act 1860. Accordingly the Indian Institute of Homoeopathic Physicians was registered under the dynamic leadership of Dr. K.G. Saxena Delhi, Dr. N. Das Gupta Kolkata, Dr. Diwan Harish Chand New Delhi, Dr. J.N. Sarkar Kolkata, Dr. M.C. Batra Mumbai, Dr. G.L.N. Sastry Hyderabad, Dr. Shanti Dev Shajehanpur, Dr. T.R. Chadha New Delhi, Dr. S.N.S. Capore Bhagalpur, Dr. N.N. Singh Rohtak, Dr.DilipSaha Kolkata, Dr. N.S. Prasanth Hyderabad, Dr. D.N. Banerjee, Jaipur, Dr. G.N. Tandon Kanpur, Dr.Devindersingh Virk Patiala, Dr. P.C. Mehata New Delhi, Dr. Omkar Dev Sharma Agra, Dr. P.N. Pandey Kanpur, Dr.Narayayana Rao Bhubaneswar and Dr. Balraj Bhatnagar Delhi were the signatories of the Memorandum of Association of the Institute. The Institute was finally registered under the above said Act. PadmasriDr. K. G. Saxena as its first Secretary General and later President was chiefly instrumental in the recognition and development of Homoeopathy in India. He burnt his life as a candle to shine forth the bright light of Homoeopathy and mentored qualified Homoeopathic Physicians by sacrificing all his time, money and energy.